Bardsea Malt Kiln has a date stone of 1829, but it is not clear if that is when it was built – it could be earlier.
As the name suggests it used to be a Malt Kiln where they roasted the malt for making beer. When commercial activity ceased it eventually became the Village Hall, and is owned by the Villagers.
The Malt Kiln is run and managed by a Management Committee made up of volunteers from the village. In May 2003 the hall was closed for extensive refurbishment, funded by a grant of some £230,000 from the National Lottery. It was re-opened in April 2004 by the oldest resident of the village, Mr Patch.